The reason you have never heard of this city is that there is nothing to see except streets lined with garbage and tuktuks, motorized bikes pulling a carriages that hold four people. The 90 degree temperature, humidity, dirt, noise, air pollution and smell limited our stay in town to about 30 minutes. We took the shuttle bus from the ship to a Seven/Eleven, walked three blocks down the main street, harassed the entire way by tuktuk drivers and vendors selling postcards and tourist items. We never made it to the missable public open- air market. The quality of air made it difficult to breathe (since I had undiagnosed pneumonia at that point.) We returned to the Seven/Eleven to wait in the a/c for the shuttle bus to arrive for the return ride to the ship.
In fairness, some people hired a tuktuk and went to a good beach, they said.
For us, Sihanoukville will be a lasting memory.
1 comment:
I have been enjoying your trip and have read up to Port Kenang. I'm sorry to read that you didn't like this part of Cambodia. Don't write Cambodia off if you have not been to the other areas. I loved the 3 days we spent in Siam Reap and friends have relly enjoyed Phnom Penh. The weather was the most humid I have ever come across though.
Jennie
Post a Comment