Tuesday, January 15, 2008

20 hours 11 minutes 11 seconds

After all of these months of planning and talking about the World Cruise, tomorrow is the day we board the QE2 at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. Months ago I made a countdown calendar with post-it notes so we could tear one off each day. In the beginning, the days passed slowly, but as the sailing date approached, time went faster and faster. The past week felt like about 10 minutes. Today, we began the day with laughter, which is always a good thing. Jerry is always up before me, so he plastered the wall from the bedroom to the kitchen with big numeral “1” and words saying “one”.

Friends are transporting us in their van, so we have no transportation worries getting to the port. Our travel agent, a really great one, had arranged transportation through his company for us as a perk of being on the World Cruise. But when he said we would be limited to 2 bags each just like the airlines, we decided to make our own arrangements.

We are taking way too much, but we have about 79 formal and semi-formal nights and we like to dress for them. Also, on every cruise I have found that there are one or two outfits that I wear all of the time. So far I have not discovered the secret to selecting those outfits before I get on board. Perhaps each ship has a certain character of its own, or the group of passengers on board is an influence. It is difficult to predict ahead of time whether the ship’s public rooms or our cabin will be overheated or overchilled. And I have to admit it, I can be a real cream puff when it comes to that kind of comfort. So we are traveling with 4 large bags, 3 garment bags, two medium-sized bags with wheels and my briefcase/computer case which will also function as my handbag. We will keep the briefcase holding the computer and the medium bags with us since they contain a 90-day supply of medications (worth a small fortune) and my electronic toys. I could not possibly get along for three months without my toys.

How all of this will fit into the cabin will be an amazing tale I am sure.

Our neighbors are getting together to wish us a bon voyage, which is also a good thing. We will get to tell them all good-bye in person and we will get food. I did an excellent job of using up the food in the refrigerator, freezer, and the pantry. Too good a job – there is almost nothing left to eat now except a couple of bananas, three tomatoes, one bagel, 4 limes and half a vegan chocolate cake.

No comments: